Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Hair Color & Other News

Before I get to  hair colors, I'd like to share about my busy October. By the end of the month I will have spent ONLY seven days at home! If you’re on my Newsletter list, forgive me for repeating a couple of things, but I wanted to let those on my blog list know how much fun I had at the Utah Readers Luncheon.
If you’re an avid reader, or not, but enjoy a good book once in a while, you should think about attending the 
Utah Readers Luncheon
October 13, 2018.
Registration starts April 1, 2018

I love readers. The readers that participated in the luncheon received a swag bag filled with goodies and they left with tons of gifts given to them at the author’s table they signed up to sit with. Readers are amazingly happy and smiling people. What a joy to be around them. All the readers were given a chance to meet the authors at the beginning. They were given a sheet with twenty-three authors’ names, giving them a chance to go around and meet each author and get their signature. Once their sheet was filled with signatures, they received a ticket for a huge door prize. All authors’ tables were decorated with a theme and each guest received tons of gifts in appreciation.

Mary Martinez, Stanalei Fletcher and I shared a table with some awesome readers.  


I encourage you to join me, along with other wonderful, local authors October 13, 2018. Don’t worry, I’ll remind you when registration starts.

Now, Hair Color:

As a writer, how do you decide the color of your hero/heroine’s hair? I started a novel (western historical 1868) and my heroine’s name is Lenora Bennett, now I’m trying to decide on her eyes and hair coloring.

When I think about light-colored hair, I think blonde (spelled blond if masculine). Of course, the popular culture of blondes have a stereotype of being more sexually attractive and even known as flighty, shallow or even dimwitted compared to darker haired females. By the way, there’s also sandy, strawberry and dirty blondes, even towhead is used to describe people with yellowish hair. Oh, don’t forget fair complexion or faired-skin people are usually blonde. Aren’t they?

Did you know there’s both masculine and feminine forms for brunet/brunette too? The most common spelling and usage for these two colors are blonde and brunette. Brunettes are usually called brown haired and they’re usually stereotyped as serious, sophisticated and intelligent. Writers use the words chestnut, walnut, golden, and ash in place of brown-hair.

The noun redhead is a term for a variation of red hair colors: auburn, copper, ginger and even orange. The wording reddish-brown is used often. Redheads also have a cultural stereotype as being hot tempered, as well as having a high libido.

Differences in hair-color is subjective, as in strawberry blond can be a type of red hair too, or auburn can be referred to as brown hair or reddish brown.

Black-haired people use to be considered exotic, gothic, slutty, and sexy.  What about the trendy colors? What does that say about your heroine?  Blue, purple, pink??


If you know a person with blonde, brunette, red, or black hair, then you’re probably like me and don’t really believe in the hair-color stereotype. I’m sure you have many more words that describe your character’s hair-color and even some unusual descriptions. I’d like to hear them.  

With that said, I’m still deciding the color of my character’s hair in my WIP. I just finished writing my heroine’s background and I’m getting to know her personality better, forming an image which is beginning to show hair color. I think the more you discover about your hero and heroine, the more they will appear giving you a total image of skin, hair, and eye coloring.

One last thing.
If you’re in the area, you’re invited to the following event:

Fourth-Annual Local Authors & You Event
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Noon - 5PM
Library's Viridian Event Center
8030 South 1825 West
West Jordan, UT 84088

I'll be there with many other published authors, providing free writing workshops, and book signings.  More information: http://www.viridiancenter.org/events/authors_LocalAuthorsAndYou


Happy Reading,
Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Tips










________________

Add this to your site